Terms and Conditions
These Terms and Conditions are specific to the 2019 Osum Spark Award (‘the Award’). By applying for the Award you agree that you have read and will abide by these Terms and Conditions.
Four (4) scholarships in the amount of $5000 will be awarded.
- Two (2) winners will be selected from Cold Lake First Nations,
- One (1) winner will be selected from the Lakeland area (not Cold Lake First Nations), and
- One (1) winner will be selected from the Wabasca region.
Entrant Eligibility Requirements
The Award is open to individuals who at the time of their entry are:
- The age of majority or have permission from a parent or legal guardian to participate;
- Members of an Indigenous Community near one of Osum’s northern Alberta project areas:
- Cold Lake First Nations, Beaver Lake Cree Nation, Heart Lake First Nation, Whitefish (Goodfish) Lake First Nation, Saddle Lake Cree Nation, Kehewin Cree Nation, Frog Lake First Nation, Metis Nation of Alberta Region 2 and Region 5, Elizabeth Metis Settlement, Fishing Lake Metis Settlement, Buffalo Lake Metis Settlement, Kikino Metis Settlement, Onion Lake Cree Nation, Metis Local 1935, Bigstone Cree Nation or Fort McMurray #468 First Nation;
- Enrolled in or have been accepted to attend an accredited post-secondary institution in a full-time program leading to a recognized degree, diploma or trade;
- Proof of enrolment will be required from successful applicants before the scholarship will be disbursed.
- Past recipients of the Award are eligible to re-apply, as long as you still meet all eligibility requirements.
- Osum may at any time in their sole discretion disqualify an entrant who does not meet eligibility criteria
- Completed application form – only online applications will be considered for the Award.
- Signed consent form from a parent or legal guardian (if under the age of majority);
- Two (2) references
- One academic and one character
- Reference should not be a friend of relative of the applicant
- Applicants who have been shortlisted during the evaluation process will be asked to provide the following:
- Provide proof of membership in one of the following Indigenous communities: Cold Lake First Nations, Beaver Lake Cree Nation, Heart Lake First Nation, Whitefish (Goodfish) Lake First Nation, Saddle Lake Cree Nation, Kehewin Cree Nation, Frog Lake First Nation, Metis Nation of Alberta Region 2 and Region 5, Elizabeth Metis Settlement, Fishing Lake Metis Settlement, Buffalo Lake Metis Settlement, Kikino Metis Settlement, Onion Lake Cree Nation, Metis Local 1935, Bigstone Cree Nation or Fort McMurray #468 First Nation;
- Proof of acceptance (or enrolment) in an accredited post-secondary or apprenticeship training program on a full-time basis;
- Transcript for your last academic year.
- All personal and other information requested by and supplied to Osum for the purpose of the Application Process must be truthful, complete, accurate and in no way misleading.
- Osum shall have the right at any time to require proof of identity and/or eligibility to apply for the Award. Failure to provide such proof may result in disqualification.
The application period begins at 9:00 am Mountain Standard Time (MST) on Friday, March 1, 2019 and closes at 11:59 PM MST on Friday, May 24, 2019. Entries must be received within this period to be eligible for consideration.
Selection Process and Notification
A Selection Committee comprised of Osum employees will meet after the deadline of May 24th to review all applications and to select the recipients. Selection will be based on eligibility and decision criteria including: academic and career goals, community and volunteer participation and references.
Shortlisted candidates will be notified by telephone or email with a request for additional information no later than Friday, June 28, 2019. Requested information must be returned no later than Friday, July 19, 2019. Award recipients will be notified in writing of the decision of the Selection Committee no later than Friday, July 30, 2019.
- The chances of receiving the Award are dependent on the number of applications.
- Osum will not return any of the documentation submitted and recommends that copies be kept for the applicant’s records.
- Incomplete applications and those without the requested documentation will be deemed incomplete and will not be considered. Osum is not responsible for lost applications.
Privacy/Use of Personal Information